Tuesday, February 17, 2009

sunday kind of love

Vinyl love. Maybe not the best kind of love, but a damn good kind. Our vinyl hunt continues on a Sunday evening.

Steven got real creative with my first hunt, picking crate 1, record 1, which led me to Johnny Cash-Bitter Tears. I forgot how weird the song White Girl was, and how Cash imitating an Native American chant sounds a bit like Bing Crosby attempting the same. However, still a fine record for a Sunday afternoon.
My first hunt for Steven sent him to a more hip hop response, landing him with Y Society's Travel At Your Own Pace. Y Society is made of Insight and Damu the Fudgemunk.Speaking of white girls in my last pick, on my second hunt, there is the whitest of white girls on the cover, Wes Montgomery's California Dreaming, Verve, 1966. I really enjoy Wes's interpretation of California Dreaming, and on the second side, there is some wonderful improv. Montgomery and Green are probably my two favorite jazz guitarists, so this was a nice listen.Speaking of improv, for Steven's next pick, he got the Argentine experimental noise trio, Reynolds with Deportation Symphony. This is written on the back of the release, "On March 9th 2003 we were denied entry into the United Kingdom. This piece was conceived during the six hours of detention preceding the deportation. We made this music playing only photocopies of the papers given to us by the UK Immigration Services. We are very sad that because of absurd politics, the British people was denied to enjoy our music. However, spiritually we did play in UK. Music can never be deported." Notice how Steven threw in a copy of Cormac McCarthy's Suttree to even up our pictures content. Next up for me was a 45 of Stevie Wonder with You Are the Sunshine of My Life with Tuesday Heartbreak on the flip. I swear I just happened to be wearing this obnoxiously yellow shirt.This next pick for Steven proves that he has much more eccentric records than me. An alias of Otto Von Shirach, DocNuke.com with Petroleum G-String. Check it out, it comes with a latex glove! This was released on Beta Bodega Records, which is the mother label of Botanica Del Jibaro. Have fun with that Steven, but not too much fun.Up next for me is another 1966 release, Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass with What Now My Love. Although this record is good, I have quite a bit of ol' Herb and this will make it's way across the ocean to Steven's collection. Steven's final pick for the night was another hip hop goodie, the 1986 album, Just-Ice-Back to the Old School. Not just a clever name, DMX has definitely been served a big heaping of Just-Ice lately here in the desert. My final pick for the night was The Beatles-Hey Jude 45 (Revolution on the flip), in the original Apple sleeve! Added bonus, conveniently placed cleavage hole.


No comments:

Post a Comment